THE TOURING CONSORTIUM THEATRE COMPANY PRESENTS TO SIR WITH LOVE & BRASSED OFF
This Autumn TO SIR WITH LOVE by E R Braithwaite, adapted by Ayub Khan Din will be in Bradford for one week only. Based on E R Braithwaite's autobiography To Sir, With Love is an inspirational story of courage and hope. Ricky Braithwaite, a Cambridge graduate and ex- RAF fighter pilot arrives in London and soon learns what it is to be black in post-war England. Turned down for job after job in his chosen profession as an electronic engineer, Ricky begins his first teaching post in a tough but progressive East End school.
Made into a major film in 1967 starring Sidney Poitier and featuring a song made famous by Lulu, this new stage adaptation by Ayub Khan-Din (East is East) is peppered with the songs and dance of the late 40's; a time of austerity like our own where love and hope win through against all the odds, directed by Mark Babych, designed by Mark Britten.
Adapted for the stage by Paul Allen from Mark Herman's film of the same name, and starring local Brass Bands from each town that the production is visiting, BRASSED OFF promises to be a profoundly moving celebration of community spirit and human endeavor.
It will be the 30th anniversary of the miners strike in 2014. The touching and savage account about the closure of yet another South Yorkshire pit in the 1980s is set against the very real backdrop of the collapse of the mining industry in Thatcher's Britain. Grimley colliery is set to close bringing about the loss of 1,200 jobs, a dying town, a fraught community and the loss of a brilliant brass band.
The story was originally a film released in 1996 starring Pete Postlethwaite and Ewan McGregor. It received three BAFTA nominations, and has become a firm favourite among film fans the world over.
Other articles you may be interested in...
- Aladdin proves to be another high-flying Alhambra Pantomime! - 03/12/2013
- Beyond the Barricade at Christmas - 29/11/2013
- JANE MCDONALD ANNOUNCES 2014 BRADFORD DATE. TICKETS GO ON... - 26/11/2013
- Sensational Spring 2014 Season at Bradford Theatres! - 15/11/2013
- RSC TO TOUR 'FIRST ENCOUNTER:THE TAMING OF THE SHREW' TO... - 07/11/2013
- TO SIR, WITH LOVE - BE TRANSPORTED BACK TO THE 1940'S - 05/11/2013
- St George's Hall presents The 67th Bradford (Yorkshire)... - 25/10/2013
- NATIONAL THEATRE'S AWARD-WINNING COMEDY ONE MAN, TWO... - 22/10/2013
- Re:Bourne presents Lord of the Flies at the Alhambra Next... - 16/10/2013
- JOEY MAKES FIRST VISIT TO BRADFORD TO OFFICIALLY LAUNCH... - 30/09/2013
Read the Reviews
Fantastic show, funny, powerful, emotional. Brilliant cast. Standing ovation well deserved !!!
Posted by Janet Donaldson. 03 May 2012
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
what a fantastic show went thursday26th january the 3D effects were spectacular my...
Posted by elaine mason. 27 Jan 2011
For the past few years audiences at West Yorkshire's biggest pantomime, at the Alhambra Theatre in...
The UK's leading musical theatre concert, Beyond the Barricade at Christmas, is back by public...
Singer and TV star Jane McDonald, one of the nation's favourite entertainers, has announced a...
World-class skaters, a Yorkshire exclusive, the best in new comedy, Tevye and his five daughters, a...