Aladdin Pantomime Facts - Bet you didn't know that...
West Yorkshire's biggest pantomime, ALADDIN, opened on Saturday 14 December 2013 to packed houses and glowing reviews, and will run until Sunday 26 January at the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford.
The cast is led by Bradford's own pantomime king, Billy Pearce and X Factor star Chico. They are joined by established pantomime dame and musical theatre actor, Adam Stafford as Widow Twankey; Jeffrey Harmer as the wicked Abanazar, who was last on the Alhambra Theatre's stage in I Dreamed a Dream - the Susan Boyle Musical in 2012.
As well as a fantastic line-up of performers, this year's show is once again jam-packed with special effects and illusions, including an 18-foot long talking Cobra, a monster-sized Gorilla, a very fabulous Genie and a unique flying carpet ride! This is all made possible by an army of backstage people and production crew, who work tirelessly during rehearsals and every performance to bring this magical show to life. Here's a peak behind the scenes into what audiences might not know, and probably don't see, in order to bring this amazing show to the stage:
• 7 x forty foot lorries brought all the set, costumes, sound equipment and lights to the theatre
• 898 hours were spent by the backstage crew during the preparation week to build the set and rig the electrics; this included laying out approximately 4,650m of cable (just over 4.5 kilometres); plugging in 344 plugs; and securing 155 wood floor-sheets using at least 930 screws
• over 5 tonnes of weights are being used for flying all the scenery and lighting bars in and out for each performance; and 1 x fork lift truck is used to move the ¼ tonne bridge used for one scene
• 18 members of backstage crew are needed to run each performance
• 22 pyrotechnics (special on-stage fireworks) are used during each show - 1,496 will be fired for the entire run of panto
• 200 hair grips have been used during the run; the fastest quick costume change takes 10 seconds in the wings; over 5,000 sequins have been used on costumes in Bradford this year; and the tallest hat in the show stands at 1.2 metres high
• 11,200 bananas were delivered for the scene with the Giant Gorilla
• And finally, 4 kilos of "bamboo" has been "consumed" by the pandas in the show!!
Joining Billy, Chico, Adam, Jeffrey and all the special effects on stage are: Japanese-born singer, actor and musician, Masashi Fujimoto (The Emperor); Jenny Gayner (Princess Jasmine); the hilarious acrobatic troupe The Acromaniacs as The Chinese Policemen; and children from the Sara Packham School of Dance who appear in the show as the theatre's traditional Sunbeams.
"With spectacular visual effects by The Twins FX, this is a West End quality show..." Telegraph & Argus
"A supreme, big budget, big city panto." The Stage
***** (five stars) "Since the days of the legendary Francis Laidler, The Alhambra has been synonymous with spectacular pantomimes and this must rank among its finest." Yorkshire Post
ALADDIN is produced by Qdos Entertainment, the world's largest pantomime producer, who produced 24 pantomimes across the UK this Christmas.
ALADDIN - at the Alhambra Theatre, Bradford
Closes Sunday 26 January 2014
Captioned performance: Sat 19 Jan 2.30pm
Tickets £11 - £28 (+ booking fees)
Booking fees: Phone/Counter - £1 per ticket plus postage charge where applicable
Online - £2.50 per ticket plus transaction fee of 50p
Call the Box Office on 01274 432000 or book online at bradford-theatres.co.uk
Other articles you may be interested in...
- Further casting announced for fabulous one night event in... - 23/07/2014
- Bradford Theatres Continue to Celebrates 100 Years at The... - 21/07/2014
- GROWN UP FUN AT BRADFORD THEATRES! - 02/07/2014
- John Bishop - On sale now! - 25/06/2014
- How To Make a Killing in Bollywood - 18/06/2014
- Michael Ball announced to head up a fabulous one night... - 13/06/2014
- The Studio Cooks Up A Comic Weekend - 02/06/2014
- DANCE COMING TO BRADFORD THEATRES - GRUPO CORPO AND EDWARD... - 23/05/2014
- MUSIC AND COMEDY LINED UP TO CELEBRATE ILKLEY WINTER... - 19/05/2014
- STAR CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR THE FULL MONTY - 12/05/2014
Read the Reviews
saw the show last night it was chuffing great, cant wait to see billy pearce again this time in at...
Posted by clive midgley pauline ashton. 22 Jan 2012
I loved the show and would like to congradulate everyone on such a good performance :) as someone...
Posted by Angharad Griffiths. 05 Mar 2010
A Night of VarietyCelebrating 100 years of Bradford's Alhambra Theatre The Alhambra...
Bradford Theatres Continue to Celebrates 100 Years at The Alhambra Theatre with an Amazing Autumn...
We've got two fabulous events for adults coming up in Restaurant 1914 OOH MATRON - THE...
Strap yourselves in and prepare for lift off; the countdown is on for the long awaited return of...