Aladdin Pantomime Facts - Bet you didn't know that...
West Yorkshire's biggest pantomime, ALADDIN, opened on Saturday 14 December 2013 to packed houses and glowing reviews, and will run until Sunday 26 January at the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford.
The cast is led by Bradford's own pantomime king, Billy Pearce and X Factor star Chico. They are joined by established pantomime dame and musical theatre actor, Adam Stafford as Widow Twankey; Jeffrey Harmer as the wicked Abanazar, who was last on the Alhambra Theatre's stage in I Dreamed a Dream - the Susan Boyle Musical in 2012.
As well as a fantastic line-up of performers, this year's show is once again jam-packed with special effects and illusions, including an 18-foot long talking Cobra, a monster-sized Gorilla, a very fabulous Genie and a unique flying carpet ride! This is all made possible by an army of backstage people and production crew, who work tirelessly during rehearsals and every performance to bring this magical show to life. Here's a peak behind the scenes into what audiences might not know, and probably don't see, in order to bring this amazing show to the stage:
• 7 x forty foot lorries brought all the set, costumes, sound equipment and lights to the theatre
• 898 hours were spent by the backstage crew during the preparation week to build the set and rig the electrics; this included laying out approximately 4,650m of cable (just over 4.5 kilometres); plugging in 344 plugs; and securing 155 wood floor-sheets using at least 930 screws
• over 5 tonnes of weights are being used for flying all the scenery and lighting bars in and out for each performance; and 1 x fork lift truck is used to move the ¼ tonne bridge used for one scene
• 18 members of backstage crew are needed to run each performance
• 22 pyrotechnics (special on-stage fireworks) are used during each show - 1,496 will be fired for the entire run of panto
• 200 hair grips have been used during the run; the fastest quick costume change takes 10 seconds in the wings; over 5,000 sequins have been used on costumes in Bradford this year; and the tallest hat in the show stands at 1.2 metres high
• 11,200 bananas were delivered for the scene with the Giant Gorilla
• And finally, 4 kilos of "bamboo" has been "consumed" by the pandas in the show!!
Joining Billy, Chico, Adam, Jeffrey and all the special effects on stage are: Japanese-born singer, actor and musician, Masashi Fujimoto (The Emperor); Jenny Gayner (Princess Jasmine); the hilarious acrobatic troupe The Acromaniacs as The Chinese Policemen; and children from the Sara Packham School of Dance who appear in the show as the theatre's traditional Sunbeams.
"With spectacular visual effects by The Twins FX, this is a West End quality show..." Telegraph & Argus
"A supreme, big budget, big city panto." The Stage
***** (five stars) "Since the days of the legendary Francis Laidler, The Alhambra has been synonymous with spectacular pantomimes and this must rank among its finest." Yorkshire Post
ALADDIN is produced by Qdos Entertainment, the world's largest pantomime producer, who produced 24 pantomimes across the UK this Christmas.
ALADDIN - at the Alhambra Theatre, Bradford
Closes Sunday 26 January 2014
Captioned performance: Sat 19 Jan 2.30pm
Tickets £11 - £28 (+ booking fees)
Booking fees: Phone/Counter - £1 per ticket plus postage charge where applicable
Online - £2.50 per ticket plus transaction fee of 50p
Call the Box Office on 01274 432000 or book online at bradford-theatres.co.uk
Other articles you may be interested in...
- NATIONAL THEATRE'S AWARD-WINNING COMEDY ONE MAN, TWO... - 02/04/2014
- DISNEY'S 'THE LION KING' BEGINS PERFORMANCES TOMORROW IN... - 19/03/2014
- Bradford Theatres Celebrates 100 Years at the Alhambra... - 18/03/2014
- COMEDIAN BILLY PEARCE AND X FACTOR WINNER JOE MCELDERRY TO... - 17/03/2014
- CELEBRATING 100 GLORIOUS YEARS OF ALHAMBRA ENTERTAINMENT - 10/03/2014
- DINOSAUR ZOO COMES TO BRADFORD - 05/03/2014
- Paul Hollywood Announces 2014 Bradford Date - 12/02/2014
- Jools Holland & his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra - On Sale... - 06/02/2014
- BARNUM STARRING BRIAN CONLEY AS 'P T BARNUM' - 04/02/2014
- Casting call for canine Opera star - 31/01/2014
Read the Reviews
EXTRA DATE ADDED DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND - A Murder Mystery Evening - DYING TO TELL YOU
Posted by T TIe. 01 May 2010
PETER ANDRE THE REVELATION TOUR
peter andre is 1 in amillion im trying to get 2 tickets to see him but aving trouble getting them...
Posted by mandy kendall. 04 Jan 2010
Cast to include Gavin Spokes, Shaun Williamson, Jasmyn Banks and Emma BartonThe National...
23 Trucks utilised to transport Disney's enormous production to YorkshireInternational company of...
We have a sensational summer season at Bradford Theatres with the best in live entertainment at St...
Bradford's Alhambra Theatre has announced that its 2014/15 pantomime will be the fairest of them...