Bradford’s historic venue, St George’s Hall, closed its doors at the end of March to undergo a £4 million transformation, after securing funding from both Heritage Lottery Fund and Bradford Council.
The Heritage Lottery Fund project plans to restore the sandstone exterior of the landmark Bradford city centre building and make other external and internal improvements to preserve heritage features and enhance the venue. As well as physical improvements to the building, the project will make archive materials about the history of the Hall more accessible and develop stronger links with the local community through an outreach and access programme.
Proposed works relating to the Heritage Lottery Fund project include:
Front of House Ground Floor:
• Glazed entrance colonnade to provide a new draught lobby
• Reinstate three original entrance doors from Hall Ings leading into a new open plan foyer and bar area
• New passenger lift from entrance level to stalls auditorium level
• New larger toilet facilities
• Reinstate visual connection to first floor with partial glass ceiling
• Expose hidden fabric, such as the decorative mosaic floor in bar area
• Archive materials installation in redesigned spaces
Front of House First Floor:
• New lift access to/from ground floor
• Remodel bar area to include tea, coffee, concession stand, larger seating area and partial glass floor to allow light into ground floor below
• Reconfigure and refurbish toilet facilities
• Create larger open foyer space into stalls, and reinstate ceiling to original height in the Gallery Room
Adam Renton, General Manager Bradford Theatres comments:
“We now begin an extremely exciting period of refurbishment and development which will result in a much improved venue re-opening next year. We look forward to welcoming audiences to a venue which will still maintain all the character and wonderful acoustics that makes St George’s Hall one of the UK’s premiere concert halls and entertainment venues.”
Bradford Council is undertaking a wider programme of works to maintain and improve the building alongside the Heritage Lottery Fund project.
There will be updates about how the work progresses at St George’s Hall via the Bradford Theatres website and other digital communication channels.
The venue is now temporarily closed for the works to be carried out.