Bradford’s historic venue, St George’s Hall, closed its doors at the end of March to undergo a £4 million transformation, after securing funding from both Heritage Lottery Fund and Bradford Council.
The Heritage Lottery Fund project plans to restore the sandstone exterior of the landmark Bradford city centre building and make other external and internal improvements to preserve heritage features and enhance the venue. As well as physical improvements to the building, the project will make archive materials about the history of the Hall more accessible and develop stronger links with the local community through an outreach and access programme.
Adam Renton, General Manager Bradford Theatres comments (4/11/16):
“Work to begin the transformation of the iconic St George’s Hall started in April and a lot has been happening behind the scenes. Historic buildings and conservation specialists, along with architects, have been checking virtually every stone; and interior designers have been assessing the inside of the building, in preparation for shortlisting contractors for the project. In addition, specialist consultants will be looking at realigning some of the seating to improve sightlines and comfort; as well as modifying part of the main stage with a retractable section to make it more flexible for a wider range of shows and events."
Proposed works relating to the Heritage Lottery Fund project include:
Front of House Ground Floor:
• Glazed entrance colonnade to provide a new draught lobby
• Reinstate three original entrance doors from Hall Ings leading into a new open plan foyer and bar area
• New passenger lift from entrance level to stalls auditorium level
• New larger toilet facilities
• Reinstate visual connection to first floor with partial glass ceiling
• Expose hidden fabric, such as the decorative mosaic floor in bar area
• Archive materials installation in redesigned spaces
Front of House First Floor:
• New lift access to/from ground floor
• Remodel bar area to include tea, coffee, concession stand, larger seating area and partial glass floor to allow light into ground floor below
• Reconfigure and refurbish toilet facilities
• Create larger open foyer space into stalls, and reinstate ceiling to original height in the Gallery Room
Bradford Council is undertaking a wider programme of works to maintain and improve the building alongside the Heritage Lottery Fund project.
There will be updates about how the work progresses at St George’s Hall via the Bradford Theatres website and other digital communication channels.
The venue is now temporarily closed for the works to be carried out.